Let us understand scientific explanation of the reason behind contraction and expansion of the minute blood vessels in the brain.
Occasional decrease of a chemical named cerotronin in our body causes contraction of blood vessels. Then adequate supply of blood does not reach brain. The brain which weighs about 1,300 grams and contains about 15 billion neurons or nerve cells requires 0.85 liters fresh blood to flow through it because it consumes maximum oxygen among all the organs of the body. Whenever there is a shortfall in blood supply the neurons get suffocated. So the brain sends out repeated signals to the blood vessels through the neurons of central nervous system requesting them to expand. When the blood vessels expand in response to the signals, the nerve endings which identify sensations get pressed and the brain experiences unpleasant sensation of pain.
- Why ice-cream sometimes causes a headache?
- How does the pain killer Aspirin work inside the body?
- What is chloroform? Why does it send the person to sleep?
- Why do eyes burn when cutting onions? How to prevent it?
- What’s the reason for and benefits of fever and body temperature rise?
- What is the reason for acidity and burning sensation in the chest after eating spicy food?