Hitler’s last days were played out in his underground-fortified bunker from where he made final efforts to save Germany from total defeat, which in any case was inevitable. Situated under Hitler’s own chancellery edifice, the Führerbunker and four-meter thick concrete walls which kept out the sound of all but the largest explosions. Measuring 51.86 meters in length, 26 meters in width and 10 meters in depth, the Führerbunker boasted 44 rooms serving official and private purposes. Enough food was stored to last for 50 days. The bunker was ventilated and lit by means of large generators that were petrol-driven but could be hand-cranked in an emergency. Hitler had some three rooms for his own private use. It was there that he spend what were to be the last two weeks of his life.
Eventually, accepting there was no longer any hope and terrified of falling into the hands of the Russians, Hitler and his wife Eva Braun committed suicide on 30 April, 1945. They took poison after first trying it on Blondie, Hitler’s Alsatian dog. The poison worked and as Hitler watched in dismay, Blondie keeled over and died. They then drank the poison themselves before Hitler shot Eva with a revolver and then himself. Their bodies were taken up to the chancellery gardens and burned in a last act of loyalty to Hitler’s orders. The Russians later came across the charred remains. The area where it all happened is now Berlin municipal car park, and the place where the Führerbunker was constructed has residential buildings today. (See the photo below.)